ERROR SPOTTING --- Proper Placing of a verb in a Sentence
A verb has an important place in a sentence. It is necessary that an appropriate form of a verb is used at a proper place in a sentence. It is because other words like subject, object or adverb etc. in the sentence relate to a verb in the sentence.
The importance of a verb can be judged from the fact that if one is to write a sentence of one word, that sentence is of a verb. For example, 'Go' is a single word that carries all the meaning in itself and forms a sentence in imperative form.
In competitive examinations, there are questions of errors relating to the incorrect form or position of a verb in a sentence.
Here follow some illustrations of it.
In negative or interrogative sentences, there is an error in the use of a singular first form of the verb with do or does.
Similarly. with did the second form of the verb is used. e.g.
He does not goes to school.
Does he goes to school?
He did not went to school.
Did he went to school?
Inappropriate use of modal verbs with main verbs.
e.g. He has went with his brother.
Some verbs like need and dare are used both as a modal verb and main verb. In their cases, s or es and infinitive are not used with them when these are used as a modal verb.
There are errors of --
-- the use of an abstract noun in place of a verb,
-- the use of inversion of a verb in the case of a simple assertive sentence.
-- the use of a participle in place of a verb.
-- incorrect use of a form of a verb of Voice or Narration in a sentence.
He told that he is on leave that day.
This poem is wrote by a famous poet.
--incorrect use of not with a phrasal verb. Words of a phrasal verb are not separated. For example -
He told me not to go out in rain.
It is wrong to say
He told me to not go out in rain.
These errors require to be identified for their rectification.
Here follow some sentences with such errors for understanding and error rectification.
1. The father could not understand why was his daughter so sad.
2. On entering the room, I found all the books lie on the floor.
3. I would have called him if I had saw him there.
4. You should be presented this box to him.
5. He need to understand your problems.
6. You may need hire a taxi to reach your destination.
1. Inversion in this sentence, 'why was his daughter' is incorrect. It being an assertive sentence, this part should be 'why his daughter was.....' .
2. In this sentence, 'I' is subject, 'found' is its verb, and 'all the books object. Lie is a verb without any subject. It describes the noun 'books' but the verb cannot describe a noun it should be an adjective, it should be a participle as an adjective 'lying'.
3. This is a conditional sentence, In the conditional part of a sentence, third form of verb is used with 'had' So it should be '...if I had seen him..'
4. This sentence with the verb 'be presented' is in passive form. But is should be in active form. So it is 'You should present this box to him'.
5. Need in this sentence is a modal verb like should, can or would etc. With a modal verb an infinitive is not used. It is 'He need understand your problems.
6. In this sentence, 'Need' is used as a main verb. 'May' is a helping verb. With main verb, need, an infinitive, 'to hire' is required.
EXERCISES FOR PRACTICE
Find out errors in the following sentences and rectify them.
1. On reaching there, I found that the house of my friend is situated in the farthest corner of the village.
2. He told her that if he goes to his office he would take her along with him.
3. The labourer while digging earth found a pitcher full of coins bury under the ground.
4. The passerby asked the young man which road did lead to the nearest market.
5. He preferred to join his father's business instead of joining a government job after he completes his education.
1. .....my friend was situated... 2. ...if he went to..... 3.....coins buried under...
4. ....which road led to..... 5. ......after he completed.
Find out errors in the following sentences and mark their relative part as answers. Mark NE in case there is no error.
1. The general flanked by a large(1) number of armed soldiers was (2) headed towards the enemy's post.(3) NE(4).
2. His father assured his son that he need (1) not to worry about the money (2) required by him as he possessed enough of it with him.(3) NE(4)
3. The children felt much amused (1) when they saw a juggler (2) while played in the garden in the evening.(3) NE (4)
4. I came across, at the hindermost corner of the street, (1) a dandyish appearing young man who wears (2) a flamboyant yellow and green suit and a black coloured hat.(3) NE (4)
5. Having gather the required information, (1) the investigating team got engrossed in preparing its report (2) for its presentation to the chief investigation officer. (3) NE (4)
1. 3. ....heading towards.... 2. .....not worry..... 3. (3) .....while playing... 4. ....who wore... 5. (1) Having gathered.....
Fill in the blanks in the following sentences by selecting appropriate word out of given options.
1. Once one catches bad cold, it takes about one week or so when one................( (a) recovers/ (b) recovered) from it.
2. Since he .........((a) is not/(b)has not been) doing this job for some time back, he will not be able to show his performance well at this time.
3. For the time at his disposal is very short, it is advisable for him that he should wind up his work as early as he ....... ( (a).is/ (b)can be) able to.
4.The proceedings of the meeting of today were marked by the repeated exchange of .......... ((a) hot/ (b) heated ) arguments among the members.
5. As it had been raining since morning, we have decided to spend our time ........ ((a) stay/ (b) staying) at home.
1.a. 2.b. 3.a. 4.b. 5.b.
1. As the house is lying vacant for some time, it needs repair and renovation before you start living in it.
2. Children felt very happy when they saw an aeroplane flown in the sky above their heads.
3. Coleridge could not accompany Shakespeare and Dorothy as hot tea fell on his foot and he burn his foot.
4. The little child soon falls sleep when his mother sings lullaby and rocks the cradle.
5. The superintendent instructed that students appear in the examination should affix an attested photograph on their Hall entry card.
This has reference to your editorial 'India holds its own' The Tribune March 24, 2022. India really really deserves appreciation for its approach in th currently on- going Russia Ukraine conflict turned war. Right from the first day of its independence, India has adopted a balanced policy towards the various sects of countries of the world. It has never provoked and helped any country to attack or bully any other country. It is because it never wanted any war against any country nor does it want to usurp any part of any other country.
India whereas respects its autonomy at the same time honours autonomy of each and every country of the world whether it is a small or big country. It never wants any interference or intrusion by a country into other. It has always treated its friends and foes equally keeping in view humanitarian interest of the people of the country.
The USA that is calling India 'Shaky' should realise that India is not shaky but is 'Steady' in its relation with other countries. USA should recall relations between two countries when it brought its seventh fleet in India's waters. Then also India showed it's patience and never indulged in any war against any country. It should realise how India has improved its relations with USA and has always gone a step ahead in helping them. India is known for making good relations with warring countries whether those be Iran- Iraq, Israel- Egypt, or even USA- China.
It is because India has no enmity against any country and it has no intention to provoke any country against any other country. It has always gone to help a country keeping in view the interest of people of that country. The live example of Afganistan should open eyes of the USA where it used its arms and military to bring peace but failed because its intention was not so pure and pious but India always found new ways and methods to help people of that country with its services,food and goods backed by its good intentions behind its actions. USA should instead emulate India and come forward with India to bring peace in that area because innocent people should be saved whether they are in Ukraine or Afganistan. A country should help other country with an intention for development of its people and area and not use as a tool against any other country as USA has been doing in Pakistan against India.