Important Points to note :
2. There are two methods to describe the central idea. First in the opening sentence a central point is mentioned. Thereafter the sentences following that give logical description or details of that and for that some examples are given. In second method some facts are given in the opening sentences of the paragraph and their result is given in the concluding lines. Try to find out the sentence containing the central idea and arrange the remaining sentences accordingly.
3. Sentences containing proper nouns i.e. names of persons,places or buildings etc. or abstract nouns like qualities i.e. goodness or beauty etc. come in the opening line or in the few starting lines of the paragraph.
4. Sentences containing pronouns like he, his, him, she, her, they, their, them or first or last part of a name come in subsequent part of the paragraph.
5. Pronouns like it, this that, these or those show that these mention about the topic already detailed in the sentences preceding them. So these sentences generally do not form the first line of the paragraph.
6. Sentences containing words like therefore, But, And, accordingly or resultantly etc. come in the central part of the paragraph. The first sentence of the paragraph may contain introductory details of something and the last line of the paragraph contains conclusions of some logical details.
7. Sometimes words like initially, eventually, finally ensuing, proceeding, following or mentioned below or above in the sentence also indicate the location of that particular sentence in the paragraph.
8. In some paragraphs there are sentences giving statements in favour of or against an argument. Try to sort out and arrange sentences of both types separately. This helps in framing the paragraph.
Initially, it may not be so easy as stated, but a little practice makes it possible.
To explain all this here are some examples.
Q. No. 11 Arrange the sentences A, B, C,D and E to form a logical sequence and to construct a coherent paragraph.
A. Two of the taller kids stood on the table to accomplish the adventurous job.
B. Then I showed them how to fasten the wire into a hook.
C. I promptly told the children to fetch a broken table and a long and strong piece of wire.
D. The small thiefs admired my ingenuity and enjoyed themselves running around everywhere in excitement.
E. One pulling down the branches with hook and the second picking the fruit while others passed them down.
Q. No. 12 Arrange the sentences B, C,D and E between the sentences A & F to form a logical sequence & to construct a coherent paragraph.
A. Smoke oozed up between the planks.
B. Passengers were told to be ready to quit the ship.
C. The rising gale fanned the smoldering fire.
D. Every one now knew there was a fire on board.
E. Flames broke out here and there.
F. Most people bore the shock bravely.
(Answers: EDCB )
Q. No. 13 Arrange the sentences B, C,D and E between the sentences A & F to form a logical sequence & to construct a coherent paragraph.
A. Most of the perishable foods are shipped by refrigerator ships.
B.As the green bananas are loaded, a man watches closely the signs of yellow on them.
C. The cool temperatures keep the bananas from getting ripe during the trip.
D. They are placed in the refrigerated hold of the ship.
E. Some foods such as bananas are shipped before they get ripe.
F. Ripe bananas are poor travellers and even one ripe banana at the start of the trip can spoil a whole shipload of fruit.
Q. No. 14. Arrange the sentences A, B, C,D and E to form a logical sequence and to construct a coherent paragraph.
A. Whatever the reasons may be, the effects are disastrous leading to both physical and mental ailments like insomnia, hypertension and nervous breakdown etc.
B. According to psychologists it is the result of fear due to inexperience, deprivation, isolation and feeling of inferiority among them.
C. It is a matter of grave concern that 'stress' or 'mental pressure' has emerged as a deadly and silent killer for teenagers of the day.
D. In order to prevent these catastrophic diseases, children need to be taught to 'de-stress themselves' through meditation or cultural activities and this will inculcate feelings of self confidence in them and inspire them to face the realities of life in a better way.
E. If they are observed closely, this all owes to undue pressure on their mind due to unhealthy competitions and sky rocketing expectations of their parents and teachers from them.
Q. No. 15 Arrange the sentences B, C,D and E between the sentences A & F to form a logical sequence & to construct a coherent paragraph.
A. Man cannot survive except through his mind. He comes on this earth unarmed.
B. Man has no claws, no fangs,no horns and no great strength of muscle.
C. Animals obtain food by force.
D. He must plant his food or hunt it.
E. His brain is his only weapon.
F. To plant he needs a process of thought; to hunt he needs weapons and to make weapons --the process of thought.
Q. No. 16 Arrange the sentences B, C,D and E between the sentences A & F to form a logical sequence & to construct a coherent paragraph.
A. Speech was the first means of conveying information.
B. Thirdly printing helped in dissemination of knowledge in a permanent form.
C. Then writing as a means introduced a capacity for storing information.
D. Computer is the only medium that cannot only store but analyse information to make decision.
E. However all these are passive media.
F. Therefore computer is hailed as the fourth information revolution.
Q. No. 17 Arrange the sentences B, C,D and E between the sentences A & F to form a logical sequence & to construct a coherent paragraph.
A. Those are fortunate people who have good, true and faithful friends.
B. It is a sacred attachment or a bond of interest between two persons of a congenial mind.
C. True friendship increases our happiness in prosperity and diminishes our misery in adversity.
D. Friendship often springs from similarity of taste, feelings and sentiments.
E. However true friendship should be based on truth and such vices as selfishness,greed and falsehood should be kept out of it.
F. It must be borne in mind that prosperity breeds and multiplies friends and adversity tests them.
Q. No. 18.Arrange the sentences A, B, C,D,E and F to form a logical sequence & to construct a coherent paragraph.
D. Globalization and liberalization of economy has created another challenge for professionals besides those inherent in the phenomenon of communication to decide when to communicate,what to communicate and who to communicate.
Q. No. 20 Arrange the sentences B, C,D,E,F and G between the sentences A & H to form a logical sequence & to construct a coherent paragraph.
Q. No. 21. Arrange the sentences A,B, C,D,E and F between the sentences form a logical sequence & to construct a coherent paragraph.
B. Although pesticides can and do leach into water, there is no evidence that the current standards for water quality are inadequate in this respect, yet most standards are based on evidence other than human epidemiology which in this context is extremely difficult to conduct.
- Which of the following should be the LAST (FIFTH) sentence after the rearrangement ? (1) A (2) E (3) C (4) D (5) B