There are many words in English which look alike but these have different meanings.
There is a great chance of being confused about these. These are often misused while using them in sentences.
Only by knowing the exact meaning of these words one can ensure their proper use in a sentence.
To exemplify, here are two sets of sentences.
In these sentences there are two words given in a bracket out of which ones is to be used in the given blank space. For making an appropriate application of the word in the sentence, there is a need to know the meaning of these two words and thereafter to differentiate between the two.
1. If you take an exercise daily, you are sure to………….(Loose/Lose) your weight.
2. He wears very …………….(Lose/Loose) clothes.
Meanings of Words:
1. Loose : Slack, Not tight.
2. Lose: to drop or to misplace
According to the meaning of words Lose is appropriate for sentence no. 1
and Loose for sentence no. 2.
These sentences will be :
1. If you take an exercise daily, you are sure to lose your weight.
2. He wears very loose clothes.
Here is another example.
1. By having a …………(closure/closer) look at them, I was able to differentiate between the two.
2. At the…………….(closer/closure) of the debate, Ram was winner.
Meanings of words:1. Closure means end
2. Closer means nearer.
According to meaning, Closer fits in sentence no.1 & Closure in no. 2.
These sentences will be :
1. By having a closer look at them, I was able to differentiate between the two.
2. At the closure of the debate, Ram was winner.
Below mentioned is a list of words which are often confused and are misused in forming sentences.
It is not exhaustive but a list of a few words explained and used in sentences in a simple way with a view to bring home the difference in words. Thereafter the same can be tried in exercises that follow.
1. Ail ( Sick) : The old man ails from a serious disease.
Ale ( Wine) : Taking ale is not good for health.
2. Alter ( To change) : They altered the date of meeting.
Altar ( Place of worship) : He offered flowers at the altar of the goddess.
3. Advise ( To counsel,Verb) : Doctor advised him to take rest.
Advice ( Counsel, Noun) : His father gave him a piece of advice.
4. Assent ( To agree) : The cabinet has given its assent to the bill.
Ascent ( Upward movement) : The assent up the hill is very steep.
5. Affect ( To feign) : The child affected tiredness.
Effect( To show result) : Hard work has shown effect on his health.
6. Accident ( Mishap) : He met with an accident.
Incident ( Happening) : This is a memorable incident in my life.
7. Assure ( To promise) : He assured me of his all help to me.
Insure ( To cover under insurance) : He insured his property against theft.
8. Amiable (cordial) : His manners are amiable.
Amicable (friendly) : The dispute ended with a amicable settlement between them.
9. Allow (To give consent) :The Principal allowed me to take examination.
Permit (To instruct) : Permit me to take your leave now.
10. Access (Approach) : He has no access to the official.
Excess (Surplus) : Excess of everything is bad.
To checkout Other Words Misused in English For Alphabet A, Check Below Link :http://englishgrammarlesson.blogspot.in/2013/07/list-of-words-misused-in-english-for-Alphabet-A.html
To checkout, List of Words Misused in English For Alphabet B, Check Below Link :